Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why am I doing this?

If you've been following the posts so far you've really been getting to know me from my mixed race perspective.

But, why am I doing this?  Do I have a chip on my shoulder?  Do I have to solve some life threatening dilemma?  Am I venting or trying to vent for other people?  Yes and No.

All I'm really trying to do is get the discussion for mixed race people started and keep it going!

Okay.  So you're not of mixed race.  Why should this whole thing be an issue anyway?  Aren't we all human beings?  Don't mixed race people by their very nature prove this fact: that we are all equal, all brothers and sisters, one human family?

Doesn't nature also show us that if we pollute the environment it dies and becomes extinct?
But, we do it anyway.

Doesn't nature show us that animals have a right to live alongside us, sharing life in harmony?
But, we often run over them and their chosen living spaces, quite literally.

Don't we all feel that mankind should accept mankind?  After all, we are the same 'kind'.  Not animal, vegetable or mineral.
But, we neither behave nor think that way, do we?

I'm speaking by and large, let's be honest here: we don't treat each other with the kind of respect that we even show ourselves.

I'm also speaking personally, let's be honest: you and I have our own prejudices.  They are there, everyone has them.  Even mixed race people do.  We are not the 'anti-race', or 'the answer to race'.  If 'race' doesn't really exist, and is a social construct, does that mixed race people sort of cancel 'race' out?  I guess in someone's 'ideal fantasy world' we could.  But I'm often faced with my own racist ideas and attitudes.  Yes, I said that being a mixed race person, I have struggles with my own racism.

I would go so far as to argue that oftentimes we mixed people classify ourselves as yet another race altogether. (This behavior does not answer the problem of racism it only adds to the confusion of it.)  What would I call myself, 'Africandineminolee' (African, Scandinavian, Seminole, Cherokee)?  And would that be respectful of all my heritage - would I be placing them in the correct order?  Why not 'Cherekeminofricandinavian'?  (But that still puts the Scandinavian last...) 'Scandafricherokeminole'?

All of this is quite pointless.  But, are we - mixed race people - still human people?  
Yes, very much so.  People who happen to have different features than other people.  People who have had exposure to many different facets of differing cultures.  People who are expert in distinguishing differences in communication, inferred meaning, social cues and intention.

These are a few of the aspects that do make the 'mixed race' person different than the 'monoracial' person.

But anyone and everyone has these traits and tendencies.  Both mixed and not.

So, again, why am I writing all of this??

Because, in an 'ideal fantasy world' we would all be treated with equal respect and dignity.

We do, however, live in a world where people are screwed up in their thinking.
We do judge each other by what we think is right and expect everyone to live up to our way of thinking.

Is the mixed person some sort of 'Racial Diplomat', able to 'bridge the gap' between the races?

A great question, I will be addressing this in a future blog.

Why am I doing this, why am I writing this?

Answer: again, I have been so confused all my life about who and what I am.  I have taken active steps to discovering who and what I am as a person in this world.  I want to share these with everyone.

Feel free to add comments, argue or disagree with any of my viewpoints.  I am starting the conversation, and keeping it going!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think that 'Mixies', should work together, to: 'tackle the FAR -Right', through 'Legislation'. For instance, my idea's, include: 'Getting revenge, if a 'Mixy', gets beaten -up'!! And getting 'World -Wide -Militaries, with the perm. of the U.S. Govt. to: 'fight 'the FAR -Right'' etc. etc. I Also, hoep to get: 'Mixies', to join: 'the Mixed -Raced -ALLiance' and meet -up, as well as -'Supporting Nations/groups', which -'support us', in turn (/in the 1st place).
Form ore info' see www.myspace.com/michaelshenton and E-Mail me any questions.

mosaicmama said...

i'm so glad to have come across this blog. i found it through facebook. i recently started a multiracial playgroup with two mixed moms that i met. i put a post up on craigslist to find more mamas and was heartbroken to receive a response of ignorance and hate. i am half filipino/half caucasion and am married to an east indian man. it's hard to find understanding and support. i look forward to keeping up with this blog.

The Muslim Investor said...

Hi

I understand a lot about what you are talking about. They are questions that I have posed to myself on many occasions.

Just as an aside:
I don't really mind strangers trying to pigeon-hole me into one race. It seems to be human nature.
But what hurts the most is when someone I trust or respect tries to pigeon-hole me. Especially when its so far from my own idea of where i "fit in". Do you feel the same?

The one thing I've also realised is that I've grown up understanding to very different points of view. But now the problem is that I don't necessarily have a point of view.

I'll definitely be following this blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi, it 's: Mike (again)......
Thinking about it, maybe, if we get on -with 'the FAR -Right', making 'the Mixed -Raced -Alliance', 'form/have/make/create a Partnership, with them'; then they will 'treat us better'??
What do you think-about This 'vision'/idea?!

Anonymous said...

i am half Mauritian african half palestinian.i hardest part i dont no where i fit in anymore,palestinian are refugees for life,Mauritains 4ever mourning their slavery ancestors.I feel i am a citizen of the world and hopefully one day when i have kids i make them feel they belong somewhere.